Yvan Martinez and Joshua Trees are from a Independent Graphics design company based in London called Fake ID. They original hail for L.A and have spent a lot of time working on design in Amsterdam and San Francisco. My first thought was that because they were international speakers, that we would learn some interesting information about foreign design industries.
What I found though was that Yvan Martinez and Joshua Trees presentation was actually really confusing. They directed the whole of the presentation at there influences and interests, and didn't show any of their commercial work which I found to be rather disappointing. There was no proper introduction that this was what they were going to do or why, so as I was watching I was waiting constantly for the point where they tie it all up with a clever twist and we all realised the point behind it. But that never came until questions and answer time.
What I noticed from their presentation was that there influences have come from their interests in human behaviour and language. What I really enjoyed was the concept of sound based on text and how the same sentence can create all sorts of different noises depending on how it is written. For example, the sentence, "This is the rhythm of..." would sound a whole lot different if it was typed on a typewriter as opposed to be handwritten on paper.
They showed what seemed to be an old cartoon promo for Burger Chef, which was the high light of the presentation due to its comical style. The style of drawing and animation really reminded me of the Loony tunes cartoons, which I watched when I was younger.
What I found though was that Yvan Martinez and Joshua Trees presentation was actually really confusing. They directed the whole of the presentation at there influences and interests, and didn't show any of their commercial work which I found to be rather disappointing. There was no proper introduction that this was what they were going to do or why, so as I was watching I was waiting constantly for the point where they tie it all up with a clever twist and we all realised the point behind it. But that never came until questions and answer time.
What I noticed from their presentation was that there influences have come from their interests in human behaviour and language. What I really enjoyed was the concept of sound based on text and how the same sentence can create all sorts of different noises depending on how it is written. For example, the sentence, "This is the rhythm of..." would sound a whole lot different if it was typed on a typewriter as opposed to be handwritten on paper.
They showed what seemed to be an old cartoon promo for Burger Chef, which was the high light of the presentation due to its comical style. The style of drawing and animation really reminded me of the Loony tunes cartoons, which I watched when I was younger.
One comment they made which was important, and something that Grant Gilbert also stressed, is that you need to use school time to experiment ideas as it's the perfect opportunity in life to do this. What was nice to hear is that they don't under estimate the work of students, in fact they will use students to help inspire projects.
Overall I would say I was a bit disappointed in their presentation as a whole. It was very unusual and a bit strange and unlike the other practitioners who really engaged me, I just couldn't find myself passionate in what they were saying. I think a big reason for this was because they weren't passionate in the way they talked. If they could have sold there influences to us in a much more enthusiastic manner I would have been more engaged. What I have taken away from this experience though is to learn more from human behaviour and think about the possibility of coded art in my future research.
Overall I would say I was a bit disappointed in their presentation as a whole. It was very unusual and a bit strange and unlike the other practitioners who really engaged me, I just couldn't find myself passionate in what they were saying. I think a big reason for this was because they weren't passionate in the way they talked. If they could have sold there influences to us in a much more enthusiastic manner I would have been more engaged. What I have taken away from this experience though is to learn more from human behaviour and think about the possibility of coded art in my future research.

No comments:
Post a Comment