Thursday, 18 September 2008

Gorgeous



CompanyGorgeous Enterprises Ltd
ContactSue Caldwell(Production Manager)
Address23-24 Greek Street
London
England
W1V 5LG

Telephone0171 2874060
Fax0171 2874994
Websitewww.gorgeous.co.uk
Emailgorgeous@gorgeous.co.uk


The first contact I am attempting to make is with Gorgeous, which is a company based in London that specialize in advertisements, music videos and small movies.

The website is a big online portfolio of video work from the six main directors of this company.

The reason I wish to get in contact with this group is because I have an interest in film and editing. I like how each video is a mini movie that expands into lots of different areas e.g. advertising, music videos etc, and because they are short, they really nail down on interesting ideas and concepts. Another bonus about these being short movies, is that it would keep my interest constant getting to work on lots of different projects in the same time span as apposed to working on one large movie.

Here are a few examples of work produced by the company by different directors. Due to the website being a Flash site, I wasn't able to get links to each individual movie so therefore I have provided the directors name and the title of the video.

This video is by director Tag Budgen


Tag -



The reason I chose this example is because I love the idea involved, a city wide game of Tag, which is fun to watch and has a comical element. The clip was used to promote Nike.

These next three videos are by Tom Carty


Pepsi -


BBC -



This is a BBC promotion video from a few years back that involves a man free running though London. I have used this video as an example because I remember watching this video when I was younger. I like how in this clip the music flows in synchronization with the clips.


Lynx -



This clip is from a recent lynx advert and seems to have been influenced by the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon movie. The matrix like effects and comedy elements combine to make not only a visually pleasing video, but an interesting story narrative that shows Lynx off to be a woman magnet, which for a man is a unique selling point.

This is the email I sent to Gorgeous. I sent it twice with no reply which was a little disappointing, but because my interest is mainly in 3D rather then filmaking and editing, I didn't make much more effort to get in contact. The email itself seems fine in the way it is written. It's short, gets to the point without drifting on. What I could have done to change it was to send it nearer the time to the London visit as I was planning a few months ahead with this email. I could have really started the first contact with a more simple question about the industry, with research for the Issues and Practices essay.


Hello,

I am currently studying Multimedia Design, and editing is an area I am interested in. Sometime around February I will be coming to London, and was hoping you may be able to let me come visit.

Regards

Adam Greenwood
3rd Year Student
BA(HONS) Design and Visual Arts - Multimedia Design
Stockport College

No comments: