Monday, 17 November 2008

Double Negative - Visit

Double Negative Visual Effects

77 Shaftesbury Avenue

London
W1D 5DU

Telephone: +44 (0)20 7534 4400

Fax: +44 (0)20 7534 4452
Email: info@dneg.com


Double Negative (DNEG) is a full-service Visual Effect (VFX) company in London. It was formed in 1998 with a team of 30 staff. Since then the company has grown to nearly 400 members of staff. The first film they worked on was the 2000 science fiction film Pitch Black.

In the last few years of this degree course, I have taken to using 3D in my work, and I have always been a fan of the motion graphics done in film so therefore I wanted to find a company that specialises in that area. Double negative has works on the motion graphics for big blockbuster movies as well as smaller independent films.

What I liked about this company was the fact they have done work for some of my favourite movies such as the recent Batman, the Harry Potter and Borne Films. To be able to work on films like that in the future would be something I’d be very passionate about. What I was surprised about this company was the fact it was based in the U.K. What I never understood was that the digital effects for film are produced by a number of independent digital companies from all over the world rather then just one large one in the USA, which was what I believed.

Here is a list of some of the big name films the company has worked on –

Alien vs Predator
Batman Begins
Billy Elliot
Bond 22
Bridget Jones Diary
Casino Royale
Dark Knight
Harry Potter Films
Hell Boy 2
Hot Fuzz
Johnny English
Kingdom of Heaven
Lara Croft Tomb Raider – Cradle of Life
Mission Impossible 2
Nutty Professor 2
United 93
World Trade Centre

The Dark Knight, the second Batman film of the Nolan franchise is one of my favorite films, so therefore I was happy to discover that some of the VFX were developed by DNEG. They were assigned to re-creating Gotham City environments, a CG Batmobile with the CG Batpod which, can be seen in this photograph.




DNEG were the lead VFX company for the fifth film in the Harry Potter Series, the order of the Phoenix. Over 19 months, using 250 artists, DNEG produced 950 VFX shots for the film, spreading over all the main locations in the story. The most impressive location was the department of mysteries at the end of the film. The 3D environment was made up of large endless rows of shelves with glass balls attached. It was in this environment the characters were to battle, smashing the balls and knocking shelves. Getting the reflectivity of real life people in the 3D glass balls would have been an extremely difficult process, especially as there were so many of them.




Paul Greenwood, a degree student from Stockport College who graduated last year now works for DNEG. I have spoken to him a number of times looking for advice for how I could get into a job like DNEG in the future. The biggest piece of advice he could give me was to learn Match Moving, which he said is the most important part of 3D design you could learn. Match Moving is the ability to merge real life elements with 3D, making sure the shadows, reflection etc are perfect to give a real sense of realism. When we visit London in March, I am hoping to be able to get a portfolio Crit with DNEG, as I believe there advice on where I need to go with my work would be valuable.

On the 5th March, we visited Double Negative. Due to a contract we signed, I cannot go into much detail about what we saw, but what I can say was how incredible it was. This was definitely the best visit I have been on so far. It made me understand how difficult match moving was, and how the best work that they can do is the VFX that no one can see, to make an effect so realistic. The company houses 500 members of staff, which means plenty of people to work with, which would keep things interesting and fresh in a work environment. The building its self is modern, trendy and looks professional and it also had a warming comforting effect on me.

We learnt the best way to present a portfolio, make it stand out from the crowd. What ever your interest whether its match moving, animation or modelling needs to be the core work in the portfolio as its a step in to the area you wish to work. Also, you need a CV to be clear. Don't put a show reel together if you only have a short catalogue of work, just make sure this work is top quality. What the talk really made clear to me is that you don't have to be a specialist in all areas of 3D. I struggle with the animation side, but I may find that match moving, which I am doing for my Final Major Project, may be the style that is suitable for my skills.



No comments: