Monday, 17 November 2008

SO - Sub Object




Sub Object

28, 56 High Street


Manchester


M4 1ED


+44 (0) 161 886 8506

soandso@subobject.co.uk


Sub Object are a 3D animation and modelling company based in Manchester and are a company I made contact with last year. I already sent in examples of my 3D work and got feedback and advice off a lady called Jody Clarke. This was part of my Design Practice project for the second year.


From: Jody Clarke (jody@subobject.co.uk)
Sent: 10 April 2008 10:53:44
To: adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com


Thank you for your letter. I’ve had a look at your work and have a few comments for you. I think the best way I can do this is to separate my comments by animation, like you have done on your letter. Firstly can I suggest that you pad your explanations out a little – you have literally explained what I’m about to see – but you haven’t said why. Why a hip flask? Can you explain the reason for the E4 eclipse? And why have you chosen sticky tape to characterise? I can probably guess why – but you need to say a little something, if not just to the viewers that can’t guess why, but to convey a sense of enthusiasm from yourself about your own work. I’m sure your final write-ups for college will be more detailed, but try and keep in mind that you are trying to convince your lecturers that you LOVE what you are doing, which I hope is true; not that you are just ‘doing it’.



Animation – Hip flask / Men’s aftershave

Your modelling of the hip flask itself is very good, a good solid shape, with excellent detailing on the screw cap. A little more effort on the materials, lighting and camerawork could improve this ten-fold. Firstly, you seldom have product packaging in a completely stark black environment – I would suggest either creating a more detailed pattered / ‘swooshy’ dark environment, or a standard white photo studio environment with nice soft shadows. I would also elevate the bottle from the box rather than the box falling into nothingness, following this with a camera to end on a shot that has both the box and the aftershave in shot at the end- almost like the end of an advert. As for the materials, try adding a little sheen / gloss to both the box and the bottle; this will just add a little more realism.




E4 Ident

I think this is a very good idea. I would simply just extend it a little in a few places. Keep the shadow on earth on screen a bit longer, a longer cross fade to the logo, and extend the corona effect on the E4 logo twice, maybe three times, as this is the strongest effect in the piece. Otherwise, very good.




Bungee Rendered

You have mentioned that this piece is unfinished, which makes it difficult to constructively criticize. I’m assuming that the long pauses are the bits that are unfinished? Otherwise, I think you’ve done very well. Interesting camera work, nice models, and nice materials. I would simply add a few easy things. Firstly an environment. Not modeled of course; but perhaps an image of an empty office / storeroom as a background image? This would put the characters in context. Secondly, when you have finished all your main character animation go back through the scene adding little twitches here and there. Put your hand up in front of your face whilst reading this...it’s not perfectly still is it? Try and emulate this, it will add a little more life to the objects.

I hope these comments help. I would like to see a finished version of your work if you wouldn’t mind. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with your work; and I think with a just a few minor tweaks you could do really well.

Kind regards,


Jody Clarke.


Due to the fast, and extremely helpful feedback she gave me, I decided to make contact again in the hopes she would be able to give me some more advice on new 3D projects, and current project ideas.


From: adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com
To: jody@subobject.co.uk
Subject: Progress Update
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:36:46 +0000


Hi Jody,


You kindly provided me feedback on my 3rd work back in April.


I am now in my third year and was hoping you may be able to provide me with an opportunity to come and visit Sub Object, and show you some more of my design work and current project ideas.

I would appreciate this very much.

Thank You


This was the response she gave to my email -


From: Jody Clarke (jody@subobject.co.uk)
Sent: 27 November 2008 09:56:29
To: 'Adam Greenwood' (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com)


Hi Adam,


We are currently experiencing quite a ‘dry period’ here at SO; a mixture of the economic slowdown and the time of year I imagine (hope). This means neither of us are in the office much, as we are out drying to drum up some work. I expect us to pick up again in the new year.

Do you have completed versions of the animations I commented on? I would very much like to see how they ended up.

Regards,

Jody.


Here are some examples of Sub Objects work, all can be found at their website -


This animation was for Brother International Europe, done in the style of a Pop Up book. I enjoyed watching this animation that it became part of my idea development for my final major project. Although the concept of a pop up book being used for storytelling has been done before, it was interesting to see it being done using a 3D model.



Sub Object also do website design. The Spanish Villa Valparaiso hired Sub Object to improve on business. The design of the website is stylish and keeps to a simple colour scheme. What really gives the site character is the 3D environment of the villa that is the central image.



What I found to be the most interesting of their work is the Martin Dawes fable about the experience of being at the dentist. The character animation tells the story of a mans visit to the dentist, and how it could improve. There is very little in texturing in this piece, but makes up in modelling, story and effect. It really does give the gloomy feeling of a trip to the dentist.



I tried again to arrange a portfolio crit -


From: Adam Greenwood (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com)
Sent: 23 March 2009 14:10:29
To: Subobject Animation (jody@subobject.co.uk)


Hi Jody,

I spoke to you a few months ago about the possibility of me being able to come visit Sub Object with my portfolio to get some feedback on my latest projects, but unfortunately you were busy at the time. I was wondering if you may be in a better position to see me now.

Regards,

Adam


I got no reply so I sent this e-mail again a few weeks later, but again I had no response. I cannot really understand what happened with this contact because I had such good communication with her until after Christmas. The biggest opportunity I missed was to get information about the industry from her when I had the chance. I would have said up to the point before Christmas this was a strong relationship which I should have made more of an effort to utilized fully to my advantage.

No comments: