Whilst playing around on the Internet, I stumbled upon a clip from a future episode of the Simpson's that recreates the title sequence from an a new American show called Madmen, which is a show set in New York City in the 1960s, and centers around a an executive in a advertising agency and the people in his life outside the office.
The first thing that caught me about this sequence was the music. The initial impression I had about the show was that it was a gangster themed story due to the edging, slow paced classical music, which was really catchy.
What also attracted me to the sequence was how the character was rota-scoped to become a simple silhouette , which as I have stated before in previous posts, I enjoy watching works that have been simplified in content.
The typography, is simple and clear and nicely positioned with the composition of the shots. One of the bad elements to the video is that the text is on screen for a couple of seconds, which makes it hard to read in time.
Another element of the simplicity of the video is the limited colour pallet, apart from the photographs and video that have been embedded, the main colours are neutral blacks, whites and greys, with a vibrant red that is a constant in the text.
The first thing that caught me about this sequence was the music. The initial impression I had about the show was that it was a gangster themed story due to the edging, slow paced classical music, which was really catchy.
What also attracted me to the sequence was how the character was rota-scoped to become a simple silhouette , which as I have stated before in previous posts, I enjoy watching works that have been simplified in content.
The typography, is simple and clear and nicely positioned with the composition of the shots. One of the bad elements to the video is that the text is on screen for a couple of seconds, which makes it hard to read in time.
Another element of the simplicity of the video is the limited colour pallet, apart from the photographs and video that have been embedded, the main colours are neutral blacks, whites and greys, with a vibrant red that is a constant in the text.
Web Link - Madmen Title Sequence

This is the Simpson's version of the title sequence, which follows the format of the original credits almost perfect, with the exception of the content being Simpson's related characters.
Web Link - Madmen Title Sequence Simpson's Parody


With the nice music and rhythm, type, limited colours and simplicity, this title sequence has become one of my favourites.
In response to these videos, I have been reminded of the first draft title sequence that me and Rick Matthews created in the second year animation elective, in which we worked with reds, black and white, gangster style music and silhouettes -

No comments:
Post a Comment