Web Link - AHDAhd Imaging is design company based in Salford whose show reel consists of 3D animation, VFX and film, all design elements that I have become interested in over the last few years, which is why I wanted to make contact. Here is the show reel of some of their projects -
I had my portfolio crit on Tuesday the 28th of April, and that morning I had made sure I was fully prepared. I was up very early, and was already packed with maps and the phone number ready for that morning and set off an hour and half before I was meant to be there. What I hadn't been prepared for though was the morning traffic which was horrendous, and also getting myself a bit lost with the map I was using. I actually ended up being just a few minutes late, but was disappointed in myself as it wasn't the best of starts. I did make sure I rang before hand to let them know I would be a few minutes late and the lady at the desk was very friendly and understanding in her response.
Tony though was very friendly and very informative on the industry and on ways of improving projects. He didn't give me much positive feedback on what I had already done and the design ideas, but his focus was more on the technical sides and what the industry expects. He first told me that I should be working to a wide screen format with my 3D work, and rendering with mental ray in Maya. He looked at the animatic for the final piece and suggested more cinematography would be a useful area for me to research and to stop the piece looking so static.
When talking about getting a job, he did comment on my lateness. He didn't say it in a bad way and was fully understanding that this was my first time meeting an agency on my own. What he did suggest was for me to be at the location an hour early. An hour early is better then five minutes late. He also commented on my laptop. I was well prepared to have my work with me in a format that couldn't fail me, but what let me down is that my battery doesn't work so I had to find somewhere to plug in. It's best to get that fixed because in the future, you don't want to give the employer any reason not to hire you. Tony also suggested setting up my wallpaper with my portfolio images as a taster of what they are about to see.
In an interview situation, I need to be learning to control the situation. It's always best for me to end on my terms as opposed to the interviewer. Learn to know when you are ready to leave, respect the interviewers time and thank them for their time. You need to have the right attitude as well. Tony has had to turn away so many graduates, whose work was up to a great standard but lacked in the right friendly attitude for the job. You cannot go into a job thinking you know everything because you never will. He also stated that you need to show a willingness to learn because no employer wants to spend all there time training, its up to the designer to be learning for themselves.
Smaller companies need a you to have a basic knowledge of different programs, to be a Jack of all trades. This Multimedia course has done that for me, but I need to make sure my portfolio reflects that.
The last point he made, which he said was the most important, is that you need to make friends with the gate keeper, the receptionist. Students always make that mistake and underestimate their importance. To learn there name, and get a little friendly conversation underway can work wonders, or even just having the right attitude whilst waiting in the reception area. Not playing with your phone and looking bored.
This portfolio critique has been very eye opening for me. I learnt a lot more valuable information about the industry from my talk with Tony. Working with people in the job I do really helped me keep calm and not be nervous in my manner.
| From: | Adam Greenwood (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com) |
| Sent: | 14 April 2009 20:28:30 |
| To: | info@ahd-imaging.com |
Hi,
I have recently become interested in working with 3D animation and I was wondering if it could be possible for me to be able to visit your company so that I can show you my portfolio and get some feedback and advise. I would very much appreciate this.
Thank You,
Adam Greenwood3rd Year Student
BA(HONS) Design and Visual Arts - Multimedia Design
Stockport College
| From: | Anthony Hartley-Denton (tony@ahd-imaging.com) |
| Sent: | 15 April 2009 13:09:01 |
| To: | Adam Greenwood (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com) |
Hi Adam,
We are pretty snowed under at the monent but if you want to drop us a line in a week of so that would be fine.
Cheers T
| From: | Adam Greenwood (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com) |
| Sent: | 15 April 2009 13:20:16 |
| To: | tony@ahd-imaging.com |
| From: | Anthony Hartley-Denton (tony@ahd-imaging.com) |
| Sent: | 24 April 2009 12:18:54 |
| To: | Adam Greenwood (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com) |
I can make tuesday morning at 9:30
From: Adam Greenwood (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com)
Sent: 30 April 2009 10:35:41
To: AHD Imaging Tony (tony@ahd-imaging.com)
Hi Tony,
I just wanted to say thank you for your feedback on Tuesday. The information you provided me was very helpful, I really appreciated it. I finish my course in a couple of weeks, so when I do I will forward you a link to my completed Major Project.
Thanks Again,
Adam
From: Anthony Hartley-Denton (tony@ahd-imaging.com)
Sent: 30 April 2009 10:39:12
To: Adam Greenwood (adam_greenwood22@hotmail.com)
NP adam,
Good luck
Anthony Hartley-Denton
Director
No comments:
Post a Comment