Friday, 24 April 2009

Michael Cawood

I found this animation on YouTube by animator Michael Cawood a animation filmaker. His website is a showcase of his own work as well as professional work. I was drawn to this piece because of its stylistic look. The simple look of the enviornment with simple shapes and little detail emphasize the detail and smoothness of the animation of the character. What this piece lacks though is meaning. It seems to serve no purpose but to convey his animation skills, so I origianally had the impression that his website was going to be a showcase of his own personal project. Therefore, I was surprised to discover his big projects on his site, all of which is animation is just as good as this piece.





Here is a showreel of his work, showing that he has worked on projects for big name clients such as Renault -





This piece for Renault has a Star Wars feel to it, having car parts racing with each other with the goal of finishing off the car structor -





By the look of his site, he seems to specialize in character design both in 3D animation format and 2D stills. His 2D stills appear to have Japanesse anime style influences by the eggarated eye shapes and the way colour has been used to define shape and highlight the hair.




Japanesse manga art has had an influence before in my work as part of the Applied Design, Power of off project from the second year. I used this form of animation to educate people into switching off power to save energy and protect the environment. The animation quality still needs work, as well as the some of the sound effects and the ending which is too drawn out and overloading with information. For a first attempt though, I was satisfied with the outcome of this work.





No comments: