Thursday, 16 April 2009

Rubik Cubism



An unknown artist, who goes by the name Invader, has created this reproduction of the Mona Lisa, using Rubik cubes. It does give a ironic spin on the cubism movement. He has limited colour pallet to work with of only six colours, and it takes around two days to create one of these pieces.






What would be great to see is this concept taking into animation. Either a 3D or stop frame piece showing the cubes morphing into one of these images, or even changing into the different images would be an impressive piece for how complicated it would be. A 3D piece would probably be lot cheaper also.

2 comments:

Aaron Nicholas said...

I love the work of these. They stand out clearly on your blog with the colours used. It reminds me of the Honda Hybrid advert that I looked at on my blog with all the cubes, I think these would look amazing animated. Take a look here at the Honda advert here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyknI5_Wcqs

Adam Greenwood said...

The music in the advert is a bit annoying, but the visuals are great. The kind of visual look from that advert would look great applied to these rubik images. If I was to tackle it though I'd like to do it in 3D so that I could pan the camera round the whole image. I reckon that could look pretty spectacular.