Wednesday, 15 April 2009

The Picture of Everything



I came across this piece of design a few years back, and it stuck in my mind for one main reason, because I was jealous that I didn't come up with it first. Like all brilliant ideas, it stems from a simple idea.

Howard Hallis is the creator of this work, all of which can be found on his website. It began in 1997 as a simple doodle of Spiderman. Most designers, especially myself, love to doodle. Given a pen and something to draw on, we will be away with what ever our imaginations tell us. Howard did exactly this, did an image of a superhero and started to do more, then more, then found that this doodle was more then just a doodle, it was becoming an idea. Over the years the piece has been built up with film characters, rock stars, actors etc, and it just continues to grow and potentially, can keep growing forever.

It all began from this drawing, and has grown into what you can see above. Finding the image that started it is like a game of Wheres Wally. I can get entranced by this piece, looking at what new stuff has been added, finding characters that I haven't seen before, I find this idea truly amazing.




No comments: