Tuesday, 14 April 2009

TMNT



When I was younger, I used to love watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and as I have gotten older, I with YouTube, I do enjoy watching old shows from when I was younger. This is because it takes me back to my childhood, gives me back them memories and feelings from the time. For example, TMNT used to be on first thing on a weekday morning, and I used to watch it first thing before school. It actually got me excited to get up. Childhood memories are the best, as it was a much simpler time in your life, and if watching old shows helps me hold onto those memories, I will keep doing it.

What I discovered though, was that a new film was made, a 3D version from 2007, which I watched on on the 11th of January.


Summary from IMDB website -

After the defeat of their old arch nemesis, The Shredder, the Turtles are needed more than ever, but Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo have become lost and direction less. Leonardo has gone to Central America, on the orders of the martial arts master and father figure Master Splinter, for training. Donatello and Michelangelo have started small businesses in Leonardo's absence. Meanwhile, strange things are happening in New York City. An army of ancient creatures threatens to take over the world and the Turtles must unite again to save it.


Here's the film clip -





I wasn't expecting much before I watched it, I was expecting a kids film, but I was very surprised. The storyline was over the top, but it was all about the core characters. Watching their family rebuild itself was not only emotional, but comical at times. The style of cartoon had a look of Japanese anime, with the exaggerated features on not only the turtles forms, but human forms also. This anime style was then taken into 3D.

The detail of the 3D was also beautiful. For example, to look at the clip above, shows the detailed textures on the skin of the turtles and how they really appear to be wet. Extreme detail taken on the city landscapes. Even though this film is aimed at children, who wouldn't really understand or appreciate fully the fine skill and effort involved with 3D shots, the directors haven't been lazy with the animation. The animation is of the highest quality, and really make this film worth watching.

No comments: