Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Damian Gascoigne



Damian Gascoigne was the fifth practitioner to come and give us a lecture. Unfortunately due to illness I wasn't able to see this lecture, which is a shame because from what I have learnt, he is not only incredibly relevant to the Multimedia pathway, but also was an entertaining and inspirational designer.

As I wasn't able to attend this lecture, I did my own investigation into him and his work by researching Picasso Pictures, his portfolio, and asking others about his presentation.

From what I have learnt Damian Gascoigne is an illustrator and animation director, and worked for companies such as BBC before joining Picasso Pictures in 1993. He has works on lots of short films. He has worked and directed on title sequences and commercials as well as film making and continuing his own private work.

From people I have spoken to, he introduced himself really well in a comical, down to earth fashion, making his lecture less formal and more entertaining. I am disappointed to learn that the work he showed us was his own personal work including sketchbooks, which means I won't get chance to see them. But Picasso pictures has examples of his commerical work, which I have found intriguing. These images below are stills from some of his commerical work, all of which can be found on the Picasso Pictures website.

His illustration style is fantastic. The line quality is bold on the character, as well as colour, making it stand out from the stencil like, slightly duller qualities of the background. It's difficult to describe his drawing style, the best way I could say it would be crude, but in a good defining way. His images are clearly well thought out and aren't rushed, but not as smooth as you would find in other animations, which I find gives it that uniqueness.




The line quality of his drawings, the way he uses colour to establish a character from the background, the crude like character style, the noises and grunts as opposed to talking, all reminded me of something from the past. It was the old animated series of Mr Bean, which I was able to find on YouTube -





What isn't explained on the website is the purposes of the animations. Most of his work looks like they can be used in advertisements or title sequences, but all really could stand alone as little movies.




This animation from the website is completely random in idea, make no sense at all, and I love it. I have said many times that the unusual means original and intrigue. The limited colour pallet works nicely also, using gradients of red in all areas of this piece with no black line.




I also heard that he is all about sketchbooks, recording everything, that everything has the ability to be used in an artistic expression. Sketching, photographing and experimenting is the fundamental of all design and is important quality to have.

What I was disappointed about was to hear he doesn't enjoy working in 3D, which is an area of design I like to work in. But to look at his work, I am inspired and it makes me what to move away from 3D for a while and get back to the basics of drawing, and try working in his style. I used to really love drawing and creating my own characters, but its something I have moved away from over the years, and need to make more of an effort to get back into. Maybe one day I will be able to combine these techniques and develop my own unique style.

Although I missed the lecture, it has been fun to learn more about Damian and his work, and just by looking at his work has made me what to pick up a sketch book and start doodling everything.

No comments: